20.09.2022
Nets star Kyrie Irving calls for an end to vaccine mandates

Brooklyn Nets point guard Kyrie Irving has slammed New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ decision to lift the private-sector vaccine mandate on November 1, while allowing his own mandate for local government employees to continue.

‘If I can work and be unvaccinated, then all of my brothers and sisters who are also unvaccinated should be able to do the same, without being discriminated against, vilified, or fired,’ Irving tweeted. ‘This enforced Vaccine/Pandemic is one the biggest violations of HUMAN RIGHTS in history.’

The unvaccinated Irving was sidelined for much of last season due to the city’s mandate for public arenas and private workplaces, as well as the Nets’ decision to bench him for away games, citing their preference for full-time players. Team officials ultimately relented in January, allowing him to play road games, and the city followed in February by lifting the indoor mandate, allowing him to play at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.

Irving has been at the center of several vaccine-related controversies since the city began requiring private business to ban unvaccinated employees from the workplace in December of 2021 as the Omicron wave began killing hundreds of New Yorkers. Many others who refused the vaccine were fired.

‘This puts the choice in the hands of New York businesses,’ Adams said Tuesday after announcing that the private-sector ban would be lifted on November 1.

Irving made waves last week, by posting a 20-year-old clip of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones describing a ‘new world order’ that would unleash viruses to gain control of the public.

In the video Jones said: ‘Yes there have been corrupt empires. Yes they manipulate. Yes there are secret societies. Yes there have been oligarchies throughout history.

‘And yes, today in 2002, there is a tyrannical organization calling itself the New World Order…by releasing diseases and viruses and plagues upon us, we then basically get shoved into their system.’

The video was titled: ‘Never Forget – Alex Jones Tried To Warn Us.’

The vast majority of NBA players are completely inoculated against COVID-19, with the league consistently boasting roughly 95-percent vaccination rate among team rosters. However, there have been several notable holdouts, including Irving and Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac.

In July, Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins said he regretted getting vaccinated at the NBA’s urging, despite the fact that it helped him win his first league title back in June.

‘I did it, and I was an All-Star this year and champion, so that was the good part, just not missing out on the year, the best year of my career,’ Wiggins told FanSided. ‘But for my body, I just don’t like putting all that stuff in my body, so I didn’t like that and I didn’t like that it wasn’t my choice. I didn’t like that it was ”either get this or don’t play.”’

The NBA did not require players to get vaccinated last season, but did require players to follow local mandates, meaning that Wiggins would not have been able to play home games in San Francisco were he to remain unvaccinated. Ultimately he chose to get the injection, while others like Irving held out until New York offered an exemption in March.

Wiggins applied for a religious exemption with the NBA but was denied, and the San Francisco Department of Public Health added that it wouldn’t consider exemptions of any type.

The decision proved to be a good one, professionally speaking. Not only did Wiggins preserve his $32 million salary for the season, but he had his best season, averaging just north of 17 points a game while making a career-high 39.3 percent of his 3-point attempts.

After his first All-Star selection in February, Wiggins helped the Warriors to an NBA Finals win over the Boston Celtics, averaging 16.5 points and 7.5 rebounds a game in the six-game series.

The 27-year-old is entering the last season of his five-year, $147 million deal and will make $33.6 million for the year.

While Wiggins was open and straightforward with fans about his objection to the vaccine, Irving ignited controversy in New York over his refusal to get injected.

The seven-time All-Star played only 29 of 82 games this season due to a local New York City mandate, for which he was ultimately given an exemption, and the team’s decision to hold him out of practice and road games, which the club reversed in late December.

Following the first-round playoff exit, Nets assistant coach and former NBA All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire admitted that Irving’s frequent absences had a significant impact on Brooklyn this year.

‘Yeah, I think it hurt us’ Stoudemire, who has since left the Nets, told ESPN in May. ‘It definitely hurt us because we didn’t have consistency enough with Kyrie to build chemistry with the group, with the team.

‘He’s playing only away games depending which city it is… can’t play in New York … therefore we had different lineups, different matchups depending on the game schedule. So it made it difficult for us coaches to figure out who’s going to play in spite of Kyrie. So it was difficult for us to manage that so yeah, it was part of that.’

Irving was the subject of trade rumors, but he and All-Star teammate Kevin Durant now seem prepared to begin the 2022-23 season with the Nets.

Добавить комментарий

Ex-Bachelor star Brittany Hockley has left little to the imagination…
0
John Farnham’s family have issued a statement on the singer’s…
0
25.09.2022
Labour takes on Liz Truss with major policy blitz
But the Labour leader faces criticism from within his own party over his refusal to back strikers – as a…
0
25.09.2022
‘Be bolder!’ Andy Burnham launches attack on Starmer as he admits leadership hopes
Andy Burnham warned Labour needed to be “bolder” as he criticised Sir Keir Starmer for being too timid in his…
0
  • 24 минуты назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Roger Federer named ‘definitely the GOAT’ over rivals Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic

    Roger Federer has been declared the greatest men’s tennis player of all time by Express Sport readers, following his retirement at the Laver Cup on Friday. The 41-year-old has struggled with a recurring knee injury over the last 12 months but wanted to retire on his own terms.

    Federer was unable to conclude his impressive career with a victory though, losing a doubles match at the Laver Cup alongside Rafael Nadal to Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe. The pair lost 6-4, 6-7, 9-11, though that didn’t take anything away from what was an emotional evening at the O2.

    Federer was unable to hold back the tears as celebrations began in London, with many thanking the Swiss superstar for what he has done for the sport. The 20-time Grand Slam winner has broken numerous records throughout his career, and many believe that he is the ‘GOAT’.

    According to our readers, 57.7 per cent of people believe that Federer is ‘definitely’ the greatest player to ever grace the court. Though the eight-time Wimbledon winner faces plenty of competition for that top spot, with 36.2 per cent taking the view that he is in the top three but not the very best. Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are his big rivals for supremacy.

    Federer concludes his career with the third-most Grand Slam titles ever, behind Nadal (22) and Djokovic (21) and it will remain a mystery as to whether he could have ever topped the leaderboard without his spells on the sideline through injury. Just 4.6 per cent of our survey respondents feel that Federer is only in the top five greatest men’s players, with a mere 1.5 per cent taking the view that he is only in the top 10.

    Speaking after his farewell match on Friday night, Federer did hint that he would not be away from the world of tennis for long and suggested that he would meet again with those not fortunate enough to watch his match in person. He explained: “I think the message from me was just making sure I relay my passion for the sport to the fans, and I let them know that hopefully, we’ll see each other again on a different type of tennis court, like you said, somewhere around the world.

    “I have no plans whatsoever, where, how, when. All I know is I would love to go and play places I have never played before or go say thank yous for years to come to all the people that have been so supportive of me.

    “Because the hard part about the Laver Cup was that tickets were already sold out. You know, the people who maybe would have also loved to be here couldn’t make it. Maybe there is another way down the stretch we can party all together.”

    0
  • 24 минуты назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Laver Cup 2022 LIVE: Team Europe 8-4 Team World as Murray and Djokovic denied doubles

    It all comes down to the final day with Team Europe once again the favourites to win the Laver Cup after winning both evening matches last night. Novak Djokovic made his official comeback after being unable to play since his Wimbledon triumph back in July.

    And the former world No 1 made it look easy as he dispatched Frances Tiafoe in straight sets before teaming up with Matteo Berrettini to beat Jack Sock and Alex de Minaur. Those two victories give Team Europe a four-point lead heading into the final day and could have retain their trophy with two more victories.

    Team World are still bidding to win their first Laver Cup title having missed out in the previous four editions. Felix Auger-Aliassime and Sock will be looking to get Team World off to a flying start on Sunday as they team up for a doubles match against Andy Murray and Berrettini.

    Sunday’s schedule is slightly different to Friday and Saturday with all matches being play back-to-back with play starting at 12pm. Stay tuned for live updates throughout the day with the Laver Cup to be decided later this afternoon.

    0
  • 1 час, 10 минут назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Borussia Dortmund star Jude Bellingham could be available for just ‘£83 million next summer’

    Jude Bellingham could be available for just ‘£83 million’ next summer so ‘long as the fee is paid in full up front’.

    The 19-year-old has established himself as one of the most exciting young players in world football, with 100 caps for Borussia Dortmund and 16 for England already.

    He was widely praised as one of England’s few bright sparks in their 1-0 loss to Italy on Friday night.

    According to reports in The Sun, Manchester City and Liverpool are both targeting the midfielder, who could be available for ‘£50m less than the £135m previously expected to be Dortmund’s price so long as the fee is fully paid up front.’

    They also report that Bellingham remains close with Erling Haaland, with the Norwegian striker promoting life at the Etihad to his former teammate.

    City have already brought in a top midfielder in Kalvin Phillips, but doubts over the futures of Ilkay Gundogan and Bernardo Silva make Bellingham an excellent option for the Premier League champions.

    For Liverpool, their recent injury struggles have brought their lack of depth into focus. The reds are currently missing four key midfielders, and their results have been affected by absences this season.

    Bringing in Bellingham could help Liverpool mitigate against future injury crises and begin to futureproof an ageing squad.

    Manchester United are also said to be interested in the England star, but would need to qualify for the Champions League this season to have a realistic chance of signing him.

    0
  • 1 час, 10 минут назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Sky Sports ‘want to rival Netflix to produce a Drive To Survive-style doc for the Premier League’

    Sky Sports are aiming to rival Netflix to make a Drive to Survive-style documentary for the Premier League, according to reports.

    The Premier League and the company behind the hugely successful Formula One doc are said to be set for talks in the coming days about a brand new behind-the-scenes project.

    And as reported by the Telegraph, if the idea goes ahead, US-owned Sky – the English top-flight’s biggest broadcast partner – want to be in contention to produce it.

    Box-to-box – the production company for an Amazon documentary on Steven Gerrard titled Make us Dream – are thought to have contacted all 20 clubs in the division individually over the potential project.

    Any project, though, would hinge on each and every one of the 20 clubs coming to an agreement and deciding on the extent of access they are prepared to allow filming crews.

    Sky, owned by US company Comcast, have a three-year rights package with the Premier League worth £3.6billion.

    Perhaps strangely, Sky has insisted smash hit Drive to Survive was itself the main reason for the recent explosion of F1, despite viewing figures for the sport increasing by 40 per cent since the show’s launch.

    Instead, they claim their coverage has been a key factor in that surge in popularity.

    So far, documentaries about Premier League sides have stuck to just one club, with Manchester City, Tottenham and most recently Arsenal made by Amazon Prime in the ‘All or Nothing’ series.

    That series has also included Brazil’s national team, New Zealand’s All Blacks rugby union side.

    Given that the Premier League has become one of the world’s leading sporting brands, with 3.2billion viewers tuning in in 2019-20 alone, it is hard to believe that the purpose of a series would be to ensnare a new generation of fans.

    But with the success of sporting documentaries in the USA, the potential to harness potential new markets would likely bring financial incentives to the 20 sides involved.

    A documentary series, backed by the broadcasting power of Netflix could also serve to drive up the Premier League’s international broadcast rights value, which is thought to be the path of greatest growth potential for the division.

    And with Netflix announcing a 200,000 decline in subscribers earlier this year, a project could serve to benefit both parties, as well as bring fans an unrivalled look at the inner workings of the league.

    Brandon Riegg, Netflix’s head of unscripted programming and documentaries, told Bloomberg earlier this year that tennis, golf and F1 series helped the streaming giant ‘recruit folks who’d never watched sports or never watched Formula One’.

    Riegg also mentioned successful highlights programmes for American football and basketball that have been running in the US for decades, saying: ‘How long has Inside the NFL been going on? Or Inside the NBA? We’re trying to build that same virtuous cycle.’

    0
  • 1 час, 10 минут назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Manchester United receive potential boost in pursuit of Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak

    Manchester United have received a potential boost in their pursuit of Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

    According to The Mirror, Atletico have identified Aston Villa’s Emiliano Martinez as a potential replacement should Oblak depart.

    Oblakis widely regarded as one of the standout shot-stoppers in world football.

    United have been linked with a move for Oblak, with the 29-year-old seen as a possible replacement for David de Gea.

    In the summer Oblak signed a new deal with Atletico that is set to run until the end of June 2028.

    Oblak has frequently impressed for Atletico and possesses much experience of playing in the Champions League.

    He has made 360 appearances in total for Atletico since joining the club in 2014.

    Martinez has only played twice in the Champions League, with those two appearances coming for Arsenal in the 2014-15, but he has made a major impact for Aston Villa in the Premier League since leaving the Gunners in 2020.

    0
  • 1 час, 10 минут назад 25.09.2022Sport
    Harry Redknapp reveals wife Sandra was ‘struggling for breath’ after serious bout of Covid-19

    Harry Redknapp has recalled how he feared for his wife Sandra when she was struggling with a serious bout of Covid-19.

    Redknapp stated that Sandra was struggling to breathe and had difficulty swallowing food.

    The former Tottenham, West Ham and Portsmouth manager added that the situation was ‘a real worry’.

    As reported by The Sun, Redknapp said: ‘The symptoms weren’t good, if I’m truthful.

    ‘You start to think about all kinds of sinister things. It’s been a real worry.

    ‘Sandra has suffered. Her voice had packed up and she was struggling for breath.

    ‘Even swallowing food became difficult. She could choke on food easily if we weren’t careful.’

    Sandra added that she felt Covid attacked previous surgery which she had on her neck.

    Her voice was weak, with her vocal cords not working properly.

    Sandra said: ‘I think Covid attacked previous surgery that I’d had on my neck.

    ‘You don’t realise what your vocal cords do until they’re not working, because it affects breathing as well as talking.

    ‘The shortness of breath was very difficult. My voice would vibrate and was very weak.’

    Redknapp, who was most recently in charge of Birmingham, announced his retirement from management in 2017.

    0
  • Загрузить еще
13.09.2022
U.S. inflation falls for 2nd straight month on lower gas costs
Sharply lower prices for gas and cheaper used cars slowed U.S. inflation in August for a second straight month, though…
0
02.09.2022
G-7 announces price cap deal on Russian oil in win for Yellen
Finance ministers from the Group of Seven major economies announced an agreement Friday to impose a cap on the price…
0

Sport Nets star Kyrie Irving calls for an end to vaccine mandates