06.08.2022
Jurgen Klopp calls out Liverpool stars after disappointing Fulham draw – ‘Really bad game’

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has called out his players and questioned their attitude in the first half of their opening match of the season after they were held to a 2-2 draw by Premier League new boys Fulham on Saturday. The Reds had to come from behind on two occasions to salvage a point after Aleksandar Mitrovic struck twice for the west Londoners. Summer signing Darwin Nunez came off the bench to score Liverpool’s first goal before the Uruguayan set up Mohamed Salah for a second leveller late on.

“The best thing about the game is the result actually,” Klopp said after the match. “We got a point from a really bad game from my side. It’s a question now, how can that happen? I said already to my colleagues, the attitude was not right in the beginning. Then we wanted to fight back but you don’t fight it easy anymore, the pitch was dry, stuff like this. We played into their cards.

“Most of the time when we found direction and ended up in front of their goal, we probably had the bigger chances even when we were 1-0 down, crossbar, all these kind of things. The result is fine, I don’t think we deserved more than that, but the performance is massively improvable.”

Liverpool looked out of sorts for much of Saturday’s encounter and they went behind after Mitrovic, who scored 43 goals for Fulham in the Championship last season, headed his side into the lead just after the half-hour mark as he rose to meet Kenny Tete’s delicious cross.

Luis Diaz, who had earlier had a goal chalked off for offside, then curled an effort against the post. But the Reds were unable to find a route to goal during the opening 45 minutes.

Nunez entered proceedings six minutes after the interval and took just 13 minutes to open his Premier League account as he flicked the ball past home keeper Marek Rodak. But the west Londoners restored their advantage with 18 minutes remaining as Mitrovic dusted himself down after being fouled by Virgil van Dijk to strike from the penalty spot.

Fulham appeared to be heading for victory as the match wore on. But the Reds claimed a share of the spoils as last season’s joint Premier League Golden Boot winner Salah found the back of the net from close range after being teed-up by Nunez.

“You cannot always hug the boys,” Klopp continued. “We do that usually when they deserve it. First half, we started the game in a specific way which was the complete opposite to how we wanted to start. We didn’t find direction, passed the ball around against their 4-4-2 in defending and couldn’t really break the lines.

“It was a clear message before the game, there’s where you have to take the risk. Each challenge they won is a very positive thing for them, each chance, each shot on target – massive. We miss a chance, it’s a negative thing. We never had the momentum. Yeah, we could’ve won the game because we had the bigger chances but that would’ve been a bit too much today. This result was not about the ref or whatever.”

Добавить комментарий

The Dingles have become Emmerdale’s most iconic family since arriving…
0
09.08.2022
‘Electoral suicide note!’ Raab takes aim at tax-cutting Truss and issues warning to Tories
Writing in the Times, Mr Raab said: “If we go to the country in September with an emergency budget that…
0
09.08.2022
‘In Markle we trust!’ Democrats project their hopes on Meghan to make a Presidential run
According to the Democracy Institute/Express.co.uk tracker poll, the California-based Duchess of Sussex is the second most popular choice among women…
0
  • 38 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    Chelsea may now regret rejecting big Bayern Munich bid as Thomas Tuchel begs for transfers

    Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel is still eager to make more new signings after watching side stutter to a 1-0 victory over Everton in their opening game of the Premier League season. And the German boss may be frustrated that the club did not take the chance to earn a huge fee two years ago to boost their coffers.

    The Blues are certainly not short of funds after splashing out £175million on five new signings and there could be as many as four more new arrivals to join Tuchel at Stamford Bridge.

    But the German will know that he has to trim his bloated squad in order to allow more room for new signings — and that will mean several fringe members of his squad leaving. One of them could be Callum Hudson-Odoi, who wants to leave on loan to get more regular first-team football.

    Only two years ago, Chelsea found themselves fighting to keep the youngster out of the Bayern Munich’s clutches. The Bavarian giants had offered a tempting deal which included taking the winger on loan for the season with a view to a permanent £70m transfer, as reported by Sky Sports at the time.

    Such a bid reflected Hudson-Odoi’s potential and form at the time, having shone under Maurizio Sarri and then Frank Lampard. But Chelsea were determined to keep one of their prized Cobham graduates and rejected their the offer, eventually tying down Hudson-Odoi to a five-year deal.

    In fairness, the £70m proposal was not a mandatory clause so it is not known if Chelsea could have got such a fee for Hudson-Odoi. But there may now be a feeling of regret hanging over them as they try to balance their squad.

    The England international has struggled to build on his early progress in his Blues career after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon last year. He made just 11 Premier League starts last season, the majority of which he played out of position as a wing-back, and is looking to feature more regularly.

    The 21-year-old is wanted by Leicester City and Borussia Dortmund in a loan deal, but he may favour a move to the Bundesliga where fellow English starlets Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham have shone. That will frustrate Chelsea, who are keen to use the attacker as a makeweight in their bid to sign Wesley Fofana.

    What’s more, Hudson-Odoi qualifies to fill one of the club’s eight homegrown player slots needed for their 25-man squad for the Premier League. If Chelsea cannot fulfil the quota, they have to leave spaces — and losing the tricky winger means they will be unable to replace him, even despite signing Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa as he is not yet eligible for the status.

    For the sake of letting him leave on loan, Tuchel will be frustrated with how it may affect his transfer plans, with Fofana, Frankie de Jong, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Cesare Casadei on his radar.

    All the while, Chelsea could have cashed in for a huge £70m on Hudson-Odoi some time ago — and now face a struggle just to get him off their wage bill for the season.

    0
  • 38 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd eye Rabiot partner, De Jong’s chat with Boehly, Tottenham bid

    With the Premier League season now officially underway, many top-flight clubs will know if they need to do more business before the window shuts. It is very much scramble time now and transfers are expected to come thick and fast as deadline day approaches.

    Manchester United will be one of the most desperate teams in the Premier League to add reinforcements after a disastrous opening-day defeat against Brighton. Marko Arnautovic and Adrien Rabiot are both heavily linked, prompting mixed reviews from fans.

    Meanwhile, Chelsea are keen to bolster their squad and are in the hunt for United target Frenkie de Jong. Wesley Fofana is also on their hit list, although the Leicester man’s £85million price tag could scupper his move to Stamford Bridge.

    Tottenham are still pursuing Nicolo Zaniolo with Antonio Conte viewing the Italian as his ‘dream’ signing. However, little progress has been made over the past few weeks and Roma are understood to be keen on retaining his services.

    Other big clubs such as Arsenal and Liverpool could yet do more business – especially with Thiago facing six weeks on the sidelines following his injury in the 2-2 draw at Fulham. The likes of Newcastle and West Ham are also expected to be busy in the next few weeks.

    0
  • 1 час, 26 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    How Grease star Olivia Newton-John inspired Jane McGrath to fight for breast cancer sufferers

    Famed Grease star Olivia Newton-John inspired Jane McGrath to fight hard for breast cancer sufferers after the Hollywood actress was first diagnosed in 1992 aged just 43.

    Newton-John, 73, died peacefully on Tuesday in her US home.

    Her confronting early diagnosis struck a chord with the former wife of Australian cricketer Glenn McGrath, who lost her own battle with breast cancer in 2008.

    After her passing, from 2009 onwards, the Sydney Cricket Ground has been transformed into a sea of pink for one day of the annual January Test, with millions raised to help fund McGrath Breast Care Nurses.

    The touching scenes have become a staple of Australia’s summer of cricket – and last year alone, the McGrath Foundation generated $3million.

    Tracy Bevan, who was Jane McGrath’s best friend, said the mother of two was moved by the tireless work of Newton-John – not only in raising awareness of breast cancer, but in also helping improve the lives of patients and their families.

    ‘For Jane, it was important to share her story and make a difference for people going through what she did. And Olivia did the same,’ Bevan told Honey.

    ‘Honestly, it was just inspiring. It must have been incredibly difficult for Olivia to share her story, it was such a personal experience.

    ‘For her to do that, it made such a difference and inspired so many people. Jane did the exact same thing.’

    McGrath was just 31 when she initially diagnosed in 1997.

    She was deemed cancer-free by 1998, but tragically then became severely ill and died a decade later.

    Newton-John was diagnosed three times in her life, with the cancer eventually taking its toll at her home in California in the early hours of Tuesday.

    She died peacefully, surrounded by family and friends.

    Newton-John’s Grease co-star John Travolta paid his respects on social media.

    ‘My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible. I love you so much. We will see you down the road and we will all be together again,’ he said in an Instagram post.

    ‘Yours from the first moment I saw you and forever! Your Danny, your John!’

    Newton-John’s family will be offered a state funeral in recognition of the iconic Australian actress’ achievements and dedication to cancer research.

    Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Tuesday he will contact the star’s family this week to propose the memorial.

    ‘As for celebrating her life, her music and film and all the other amazing contributions that she made, we would, of course, want to speak to the family and be as respectful as we can,’ he told reporters.

    ‘She took her cancer journey and used that to save lives and change lives, and that’s deeply impressive.’

    0
  • 1 час, 26 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    NRL star Toby Rudolf reveals why spoke about his same-sex experiences during Manly’s pride fiasco

    Cronulla Sharks forward Toby Rudolf never had a father, calls himself the Kmart version of Jason Momoa and has a rescue puppy named Louie. He is also the only active NRL player to admit he has kissed other men.

    At the height of the Manly pride jersey fiasco that saw seven players withdraw from their match against the Sydney Roosters, Rudolf came forward to let the NRL world know that he was attracted to both women and men.

    ‘Sexuality is very fluid. I’ve been out and kissed many gay men, kissed many straight women and kissed many gay women,’ Rudolf told the Sydney Morning Herald at the time.

    Now, Rudolf has opened up on why he made those comments in a wide-ranging interview with Fox Sports.

    ‘I just love love, baby,’ he laughed.

    ‘I wanted to throw my support behind the community that has been there my whole life.

    ‘And also I am not too fussed to speak about anything about me. I’m not really scared of anything, letting people know about the things that I do.

    ‘The main thing is the LGBTQI+ community was sort of dragged through the mud a bit that week and I just wanted to give them a bit of a boost.

    ‘In the background, I really want to get on a Mardi Gras float and that is probably the best way I can go about it.’

    Rudolf is not afraid of being honest and speaking his mind, saying he annoys most people when they first meet because they talk too much.

    He said the response to his comments had been overwhelming.

    ‘[The reception] was really positive,’ he said.

    ‘You are always going to have a couple of negative comments, but 99 per cent of people applauded me, my bravery and stuff which I didn’t really think it was that brave, I just thought it was me just talking about my stuff.

    ‘I went out to Northie’s that night after we won that golden point game and everyone there was just being really nice as well, very supportive, saying they loved what I said.

    ‘Overall, it was just overwhelmingly positive. I was really nicely surprised.’

    Rudolf is aiming to break down the stigma in rugby league that surrounds

    ‘There’s always going to be a stigma around it, especially with us playing such a hard man’s sport,’ he said.

    ‘There’s still a stigma about being gay and all this and whatever.

    ‘We just need to get over it, I think.

    ‘I can understand where people are coming from with the religious background and whatnot, but the general world today and the modern world is just ELE, everybody love everybody.

    Rudolf wants to challenge the norm of rugby league culture and has urged young players to remain true to themselves, not letting others influence their decision-making.

    ‘It’s a bit individual. You don’t have to conform to masculinity, you don’t have to conform to being heterosexual, just be the person you want to be,’ he said.

    ‘In football culture there has been this misconception of what it is to be a man and be tough, burly, whatever you might say.

    ‘But you want to live in a world where everyone is comfortable in their own skin and just comfortable being who they are. Loving who they love and just hanging out with who they want to hang out with.’

    0
  • 1 час, 26 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    New York Jets fear Mehki Becton may miss entire 2022 season with ‘different’ injury to the same knee

    The New York Jets and offensive tackle Mehki Becton were hoping for a massive comeback season after he missed all but one game of the 2021-2022 NFL season with a knee injury.

    It turns out both sides may have to wait another year for the 2020 first round pick to build on the promising form he once showed during his rookie season. On Monday Becton suffered a ‘different’ injury to the same right knee that required surgery last season.

    New York initially tried to downplay the severity of the injury at the time, however that optimism had faded by the end of the night.

    The Jets initially took Becton 11th overall hoping the massive lineman would cornerstone of the offensive line but following the reports surrounding Monday’s injury it seems he is more so a corner stone of the trainers room.

    Becton originally injured his right knee in last year’s season opener after his leg was rolled up by a falling teammate. Initial reports said he would only miss four-to-six weeks, but he did not return at all.

    Aside from only starting 14 of 33 games to this point, Becton’s weight became a major storyline during his rehab from knee surgery as he at one point tipped the scale at a whooping 400 pounds.

    The organization was again frustrated in June when Becton showed up to offseason workouts in June overweight, but he worked himself down to an acceptable number that pleased coaches by the start of training camp.

    ‘As of now, it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but – knock on wood – hopefully that stays the case,’ Jets head coach Robert Saleh said of the latest injury.

    Based on conversations with doctors at the time Saleh had told reporters Becton’s knee was ‘stable’, and he would undergo an MRI only as a precaution. Though the MRI results have not yet been revealed, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that the injury was to Becton’s patella.

    ‘We’ll see if he does take time off. ‘Obviously, you’re concerned for everyone. You just don’t want to get into a deficit of conditioning. He’s a big man.’ Saleh said.

    ‘He’s been working his tail off and he’s done everything he’s been asked to do. Hopefully, he checks out good like we think he’s going to and he can continue on this track. I think he’s going to be fine.’

    Earlier during the day Becton could be see limping off to the side after he appeared to tweak the knee during an offensive line drill. Only a few minutes later during only the second play of 11-on-11 drills Becton was absolutely blown up by defensive end John Franklin-Meyers.

    Becton immediately fell to the ground clutching his knee in obvious signs of pain before removing his equipment and limping to the locker room. Becton had began wearing a brace on the surgically repaired knee last Friday, a sign that he was feeling some sort discomfort.

    It was believed however that the discomfort was nothing more than normal training camp soreness and not an indication of a larger problem.

    In leu of both Becton’s injury as well as a recent injury to offensive tackle Connor McDermott, the Jets signed offensive lineman Caleb Beneoch.

    Beneoch as has appeared in 36 games with 23 starts over six years and most recently played with the New Orleans Saints.

    The Jets also hosted veteran offensive tackle Duane Brown on a visit Saturday during the teams annual Green and White Scrimmage.

    0
  • 1 час, 26 минут назад 09.08.2022Sport
    Udinese defender Destiny Udogie agrees deal in principle to join Tottenham for £21m

    Udinese defender Destiny Udogie has agreed in principle to join Tottenham for £21million including add-ons this summer.

    Udogie, who has been tipped for a call-up to the senior Italy squad having already played for the U21s, is regarded as a long-term investment for Spurs.

    Therefore, the Premier League giants have decided to send the 19-year-old starlet back to Serie A on loan for the 2022-23 season.

    Tottenham’s move for Udogie is bad news for Sergio Reguilon – who has been told by the club he can leave this summer.

    The Spaniard has been left out of Conte’s squad for the new season, along with Giovani Lo Celso, Tanguy Ndombele and Harry Winks.

    Meanwhile, Udogie’s arrival at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is one of seven new faces at the club this summer.

    Conte is looking to build a squad that can compete with Manchester City and Liverpool at the top of the Premier League.

    Yves Bissouma, Richarlison, Djed Spence, Clement Lenglet and Fraser Forster have also been recruited, and there remains some interest in Roma midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo.

    Conte’s purchases seem to have helped the squad as they won their first Premier League game of the 2022-2023 campaign against Southampton 4-1.

    0
  • Загрузить еще
03.08.2022
The Fed’s global problem
The Federal Reserve’s efforts to fight inflation threaten to send the U.S. economy into a recession. They could also spark…
0
29.07.2022
Biden enters the Always Be Closing phase of his first term
Somehow, someway, Joe Biden is back in the game. After enduring a brutal year dominated by economic angst, legislative setbacks…
0

Sport Jurgen Klopp calls out Liverpool stars after disappointing Fulham draw - 'Really bad game'