Jofra Archer and Mark Wood are set to be paired together for the first time overseas later this week at a time when England captain Eoin Morgan believes the global game is witnessing a renaissance of genuinely fast bowling.
Given the ongoing public conversation about the need for England attacks to incorporate greater speed away from home, it is an anomaly that the Twenty20 series opener against South Africa on Friday will finally see them named in the same XI.
Injuries contributed to keeping them apart in Test cricket last winter and now they will be up against another 90mph duo in Kagiso Rabada and Anrich Nortje, first and fourth in the leading wicket-takers list of the recently concluded Indian Premier League — a tournament for which Archer won the most valuable player award.
‘One of the themes of the 50-over World Cup last year was most of the top teams had two if not three out-and-out fast bowlers,’ said Morgan. ‘To me it indicates that the sport is getting access to some of the best athletes coming through as kids.
‘Certainly some of the countries around the world suffer for that. We fall victim to football. We see that the first thing all the young, talented kids turn their hands or feet to is football… or rugby.
‘But I think cricket is in a really healthy place, and it’s extraordinary to watch these guys go flat out against the best batsmen in the world.’
Archer and Wood took wickets at Newlands on Saturday when vice-captain Jos Buttler had bragging rights over Morgan as his XI won an intra-squad 40-over match by 50 runs. Archer grabbed an early wicket and Wood was 3-48.
Joe Root compiled an elegant run-a-ball 77 and Sam Billings produced a fiery 52 from 44 balls as Buttler’s team were bowled out for 255. Team Morgan slipped from 47-3 to 90-5 and were never able to recover.
England will play two intra-squad T20 games at Boland Park in Paarl on Monday, a day game and a day-nighter, while South Africa sweat over their two positive Covid-19 tests and four players who have been placed in quarantine.
The next round of tests on the players will be on Thursday, the day before the first T20 international at Newlands. If the virus has spread, there is a slim chance the entire tour could be jeopardised.
Marvel fans were buzzing when rumors started swirling that pop icon Rihanna was going to star in Black Panther 2, though it seems those rumors are not true.
Rihanna, 32, was first rumored to star in the Marvel sequel on Monday, when her name inexplicably started appearing as part of the cast in Google searches.
However, the news was never confirmed by Marvel or Rihanna's team, with E! News officially debunking the rumor.
It didn't take long for fans to catch on to the rumor, with a number of Twitter users showcasing the Google search like @Otosirieze.
@badgaliddy_ added, Rihanna is gonna be in Black Panther 2?!?! I'm bout to pass out' while adding the screengrab.
Still, others were skeptical, like @iambrysoncarter, who tweeted, 'Y'all really believing Rihanna is about to be in Black Panther 2 based off... a Google search?'
While Rihanna is best known for her music and her Fenty fashion line, she is no stranger to the silver screen.
Rihanna made her feature film debut in 2012's Battleship, which she followed up by playing herself in a small role in 2013's This Is the End.
She has also starred in Annie, lent her voice to Home, had an arc in Bates Motel and starred in Ocean's Eight and Guava Island.
Black Panther 2 is now being completely reconfigured, following the August death of star Chadwick Boseman.
Marvel has already confirmed they will not be re-casting any other actor to portray Boseman's character T'challa for the sequel.
Production is slated to begin next July in Atlanta, with Marvel planning a 2022 release for the sequel.
Rihanna has been working on her ninth studio album for at least three years now, which she at one point said would be released in 2019.
She had later confirmed that it would be a reggae album, with Shakka confirming in October 2017 that she was working on the album, which she described as, 'absolutely insane.'
Rihanna said in an Instagram post back in December that the album was complete but she was 'indefinitely' withholding its release.
Польская редакция журнала Vogue показала обложку нового выпуска, которая связана с проходящими в стране акциями протестов против запрета абортов. Фотографии были опубликованы в Instagram Vogue в Польше.
На обложке декабрьского номера появилась модель и активистка Аня Рубик. Девушка оценила работу как «самую важную и личную» в карьере.
Так, все три снимка сделаны в телесных и ярко-красных цветах.
На одном из снимков на лице модели изображена красная молния, которая стала символом акций протестов против запрета абортов властями Польши. Этот знак активисты рисуют на лицах, а также изображают на плакатах.
Ранее Конституционный суд Польши принял решение о том, что прерывание беременности по причине патологии плода не соответствует положениям конституции страны. Это вызвало волну протестов в стране.
НОВОСТИ ПО ТЕМЕ:
— «Ад для женщин»: Польша запретила аборты
— Польская полиция применила газ в ходе протестов из-за запрета абортов
— Стычка националистов и митингующих на акции против запрета абортов произошла в Польше
He's been completing scenes for Mission Impossible 7 at breakneck speed in Italy, after being forced to pause production amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
And Tom Cruise, 58, was back to work on Sunday, as he joined his co-star Hayley Atwell, 38, to shoot scenes in a vintage yellow Fiat 500 at Fori Imperial in Rome.
The Hollywood actor, who plays Ethan Hunt in the film series, cut a dapper figure as he stepped before cameras wearing a grey waistcoat with a crisp white shirt.
Adhering to guidelines by donning a face mask in between takes, Tom completed his smart ensemble with matching trousers and a striped tie.
During the shoot, the star was seen acting inside a small yellow car alongside Hayley, leaning towards her as they chatted away inside the cramped space.
While it appeared that they had control of the car while sitting at the wheel, a stunt driver was attached to the front of the vehicle, navigating them through the streets.
In scenes shot the previous day, the pair were in a black car with Hayley behind the wheel and Tom holding onto the dash for some of the shoot.
Although in the driver's seat, the vehicle was controlled by a stunt driver who could be seen sitting in the back as Tom and the Agent Carter star got into character.
The shoot is understood to be nearing completion after a turbulent filming schedule caused by the ongoing coronavirus health crisis.
In October, Tom held crisis talks with director Christopher McQuarrie after 12 people on set reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.
Health chiefs were said to be tracing the contacts of those who tested positive after filming was suspended, dashing hopes it was an isolated case.
It appeared to be yet another blow for the action movie franchise after filming was suspended earlier this year during the first European wave of coronavirus when cases rose sharply in Italy.
The actor and the director, who worked together on previous Mission Impossible movies and Jack Reacher, were deep in conversation at their luxury base in the city, days after the situation came to light, but filming has now been allowed to continue with production restarting in recent weeks.
In October, The Sun reported 150 extras for the film were informed they were not to come in to shoot scenes that were on the filming schedule for the evening.
While no official reason was given for the sudden decision, it was claimed a coronavirus test had come back positive from the production so filming needed to be suspended temporarily.
A source speaking to the publication claimed: 'There are about 150 extras involved in the filming and late on Thursday they were all told not to turn up for work and they would be notified when they would be allowed back on set.
'No official reason has been given but it's feared it's down to COVID and this will be the second time the production has been hit because of the virus.'
Crew also urged members of the public to remain socially distanced from one another as they waited to see the stars, while Tom and director Christopher are also said to have made the request.
MailOnline contacted Paramount Pictures and Tom Cruise's representatives for comment at the time.
Earlier this year, filming for the upcoming action movie was halted in Italy after cases of novel coronavirus rose sharply.
The crew and actors headed to Norway to film instead, before returning to the Italian capital to continue with scenes once it was safe to do so.
It was reported this summer that Hollywood legend Tom hired a £500,000 ship for the film's crew in Norway to avoid any coronavirus-related delays.
The filming had already been delayed for months after COVID-19 spread across Italy, where production had been based in March, leading the release date to be pushed back to November 2021. 'They are terrified of further delays. Tom is determined not to see any more hold-ups.
The studio believes it will keep everyone safe and get this shoot wrapped up', a source told The Sun earlier this summer.
It was recently claimed that Tom was 'exempt from Norway's quarantine rules' as he restarted filming in the Scandinavian country.
The media personality revealed how 'excited' he was to start shooting the latest instalment of the franchise in a phone call with Norway's Minister of Culture Abid Raja.
Mission Impossible 7 will be released on November 19, 2021.